I often get emails coming in from people who are eager to delver a bit deeper into the nutrition world. So, here we go…my list of recommended nutrition books.
Ever wonder why you need to fuel yourself with snacks, fizzy drinks and coffee to stay awake? The answer could well be adrenal fatigue. This is caused by many things, such as lack of sleep, poor food choices, stimulants and a severe lack of down time. Most people suffer from these issues at one time or another, but some take to a whole new level. The books comes with a handy questionnaire to establish if you are living life on the edge of a meltdown.
This book hunts down nutritional myths like some sort of vampire slayer. Perhaps a bit techy for some, but it will certainly make you think about conventional nutrition wisdom and whether we’ve been bamboozled by the big food companies. For example, why high fibre cereals might actually act like sand paper to your intestines.
This books has helped god knows how many people improve their health, especially those suffering with any ailments. The general jist is to get most of your food from plant sources – vegan! Now, I’m not about to go vegan anytime soon, but even if you only take on board a little of the information it will certainly help improve your health.
Don’t eat fat we’ve been told, it’ll make you fat and your arteries will clog up like the M25 during rush hour! That’s not the case, at least not for all fats. This book shows is how eat the right type of fats can actually HELP US lose weight, improve energy levels, boost athletic performance and let us live to a ripe old age. I’ll be honest, it is quite techy and one you’ll need to concentrate to read, but if you’re interested in knowing more about fat this is as good as it gets.
If you’re into your sport then you might like to give yourself more of an edge and look at when and what to eat for peak performance. This book gives fueling strategies, plans and even, menus. It doesn’t matter whether your a cyclist or into your heavy lifting, the author has given several plans dependent on activity, duration and how often you train.
Whenever I train or advice someone on their diet I always point them in the direction of a paleo diet. Why? Because it’s great for improving overall health and with that comes weight loss. Some people go the whole hog and like nothing more than to tell the world they follow a paleo diet. However, I prefer a modified approach to this way of eating by following an 80/20 rule. 80 per cent of the time you go paleo and the other 20 per cent you give yourself a bit of freedom to eat the foods that aren’t considered paleo. You can find out more about the paleo diet in our nutrition area.
Coming from a northern family I used to eat bread with every meal when I was a kid…even a roast dinner! Fortunately that habit is long gone and I now steer clear of wheat whenever possible. By reducing your wheat intake you can lose (a lot of) weight, kick IBS and other digestion issues into touch, prevent acne, improve mental clarity, reverse the dreaded moobs and lots more. Wheat is also highly addictive, which many food manufacturers have cottoned on to and they now stick wheat in all sorts of random foods that you would never expect.
This is one of my personal favourites as it helped me understand why I was often ill (running nose, sneezing, immune system on its arse) when I was younger. I wish I would have found it sooner! You might have heard about the alkalising diet doing the rounds at the moment. It’s been about for years and the versions you see currently in the papers and magazines are usually half baked and would see Dr Young turn in his grave. The later third of this books get very technical, but if you just want to understand why you’ve been getting ill, want to boost your energy and health the first two thirds will definitely do the job. However, Dr Young also wrote another book called the The Ph Miracle: Balance Your Diet, Reclaim Your Health for those who don’t care about the techy stuff and like a nice shiny book cover.
If you’ve got a sweet tooth you best not read this! I’m only joking :) Although, the author delves into why you might be addicted to sugar and why you find yourself sobbing in the corner of a dark room if you haven’t had your sugar fix. Also looks at the various diseases that sugar can bring about/make worse such as cancer, obesity, diabetes and dementia just to name a few.