First off, I woke up an hour late with the words “Sh#t” gushing from my mouth. Then…
I threw some clothes on and legged it downstairs.
Picked up my gym bag and car keys and out the door I went.
Ran to my car, while managing to completely ignore the parked car on the opposite side of the road.
Ignition on, lights on, reverse and bang…
Said the words “Mother trucker, fudgenuts, barsteward” several times or words to that extent.
That’s how NOT to start your day.
Got it?! :)
As you can see, I am by no means perfect. However…
I usually start my day much better than this.
Here are a few things you can do to make sure you kick assimus every morning (with the odd blip from time to time!)…
1) Get enough sleep – If you don’t get enough sleep, you’re likely to make mistakes. Last night I should have got my assimus to bed earlier, but I didn’t. I then had to rush around this morning and drive into my neighbour’s car. The best way to get enough sleep is not to stay in bed later, but to get to bed earlier.
2) Start your morning the night before – Do your mornings always feel frantic? Okay, it’s time to get organised and that means getting things ready ahead of time. Your gym gear, the kids lunch, etc.
This way you’re less likely to be running round like a headless chicken in the morning and ease yourself gently into the day. This might sound over the top, but I actually plan out my entire day, hour by hour, the night before. It works!
3) Dodge the carb breakfast – Cereal, toast, muffins aren’t going to cut the mustard. Not in terms of a productive day or your health. You’ll most likely be hangry by 10am and before you know you’ll be reaching for a Chunky Kitcat. It’s much better to start your day with a high protein breakfast. Whether that be eggs and bacon or some form of smoothie. Your concentration will be improve and your bod will be better primed for fat loss.
4) Do some exercise – People often ask me what the best time to exercise is and I reply “the morning”. Not necessarily from a physical standpoint, but more in terms of mental one. You’ll be more productive throughout the day. It doesn’t matter if it’s 5 minutes or 40 minutes, just do something and move your body. Plus, if you do your workout in the morning there’s less chance of it being binned because something cropped up. (And if fat loss is your #1 goal, I recommend THIS)
5) Drink water – This is so simple, but yet so few people ever do it. When I wake up, the first thing I do before I’ve even left the bed is drink a glass of water. Yes, that means I’ve placed it there the night before (you’re catching on!) You see, your body slowly dehydrates through the night, so make sure you hit it with some H2O when you first wake up.
Now, I must warn you…
Use these tips wisely, because you might well have your best day ever! :)