Women over 40 are constantly bombarded with messages about what they should do to get healthier. It can be hard to know which habits will actually work for you. We’ve compiled a list of the five most unhealthy habits that women over 40 have and why these things stop them from losing weight, having more energy and feeling great!
1) Eating (or drinking) too many carbs. Not all carbs are bad, but if your diet resembles that of a carb loading marathon runner, you can bet your assimus that those extra carbs will spillover and be transferred into plain old fat!
2) Not moving enough during the day. Studies have shown that sitting for more than three hours in front of screens can lower metabolic rate by up to 90%!
3) Not getting enough sleep. Lack of sleep over time can lead to weight gain, chronic disease and a whole host of other problems.
4) Depriving yourself of treats because you’re dieting or trying to eat healthier. The more deprived you are, the less willpower you have for resisting cravings when they come.
5) Not having time to relax and de-stress. Stress releases cortisol, which leads to weight gain, reduced energy levels and more!
The best way for women over 40 to improve their health is by working on the unhealthy habits that we know are bad for us but have a hard time kicking because they’ve become so ingrained in our daily lives.
What You Should Do:
– Eat more green veggies and reduce your carb intake. The green veggies will help rebalance your hormones and the reduction in carbs will mean it’s easier for your body to tap into your fat cells for energy when it needs it.
– Get up from your chair or desk every 20 minutes and move around for five minutes! Even just doing a few squats or stretches will help boost your metabolism and freshen up your mind.
– Go to bed earlier and make sure you have at least seven hours of sleep every night. The less time in front of screens, the better! Plus, it’s always easier to say no to a slice of cake when you’ve slept well the night before.
– Indulge in your favorite treat now and then, but don’t go crazy – if you deprive yourself too much it’ll only backfire. Not many people have bulletproof willpower, so it’s often better to enjoy your fave foods, rather than dodgy them for weeks on end in a bid to slim down your waistline.
– Finally, make sure you’re taking some time to relax and de-stress because stress is the leading cause of unhealthy habits in women over 40! It’s very easy for women to put themselves at the bottom of the pile when they’re looking after family, but you need to add in some time for YOU. Plan a time each week to do something that brings you joy and allows you to unwind.
To Sum Things Up…
It’s important for women over 40 to work on their healthy habits in order to be healthier and live longer. With the rise of obesity, women are suffering from many diseases caused by unhealthy weight gain. It is imperative that women over 40 work on their healthy habits to maintain a healthy weight, before their body struggles to cope with all the bad habits that have accumulated over the years. Women over 40 should be mindful of what they eat, how often they exercise, and how much sleep they get each day.